I wish I had the means to help the people who are struggling, the kids. I mean in a big way. I watched this 20/20 story tonight about the youth in Camden, NJ. I was seriously bawling like a baby!
http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=3837382&page=1
Go there and watch or read the story. I would recommend watching it because you don't get the same effect reading ( you actually can see and hear the cute kids talk...tears at your heart stings).
I sit here brainstorming how I can help. I don't have much, barely getting by and at times even struggling. But I still feel so blessed to have what little I have. I feel so stupid for complaining about having only one car. I want to do something for them. Maybe I can get some people together to do something to help them (winter coats, bikes...something). Maybe what little Christmas we may end up having, we could donate instead. I honestly don't need anything more. All the clothes, home decorations, and other stuff that I dream about having seem so stupid compared to what these poor kids live without. Maybe I could sponsor a kid, help them achieve their dreams but I would want to meet them. Maybe there are kids closer to home?
This needs more thought and research. I may have only a little money to help but I am going to. I will update when I figure out what I am going to do. Also if you have ideas, let me know.



3 comments:
I know what you mean! Stuff like this makes me so overwhelmed cause I just want to help everybody - but how?!
Anyway, awesome post. Let us know what you find out.
Jen, you're such a good person :) you can contact the church's humanitarian specialist..there's always stuff you can do. I've made a quilt for a quilt drive..that was fun! you can start a drive or something..even finding things are garage sales.. we chose a couple families one year and brought some things for Christmas and got to deliver them to their home.. it was the greatest thing to experience their reaction :)
Jen, you are so awesome and I have a great suggestion for you! You have got to check out united way's local website. They are the best source around for stuff like this. They have the most AWESOME search engine for opportunities too. You enter in what type of opportunities you are looking for, what type of person or persons you are (like age group and whether you are one person, small group, or large group) and if you want a one time or reoccurring opportunity. Then it brings up all these amazing opportunities. You'd really have to check it out to see how awesome it is. I'm sure you could find exactly what you are looking for in there. There is so much need around us that we are just so unaware of. Go to www.unitedwayuc.org and click volunteer. Then click search volunteer opportunities. I was so excited when I found this website. If you want to make it a group effort, talk to someone on the compassionate service committee. They may already have things planned, but I'm sure they would love to hear about the site too. Love ya, and have fun!
Post a Comment