I got this interesting email from a friend and I thought I would post it here to get your thoughts on it. I am not saying I agree or disagree, i just want others opinion on this subject.
here it is:
Letter by a Florida teacher............... A teacher speaks
This is a subject close to my heart. Do you know that we have adult students at the school where I teach who are not US citizens and who get the PELL grant, which is a federal grant (no pay back required) plus other federal grants to go to school?
One student from the Dominican Republic told me that she didn't want me to find a job for her after she finished my program, because she was getting housing from our housing department and she was getting a PELL grant which paid for her total tuition and books, plus money leftover.
She was looking into WAIT which gives students a CREDIT CARD for gas to come to school, and into CARIBE which is a special program (check it out - I did) for immigrants and it pays for child care and all sorts of needs while they go to school or training. The one student I just mentioned told me she was not going to be a US Citizen because she plans to return to the Dominican Republic someday and that she 'loves HER country.'
I asked her if she felt guilty taking what the US is giving her and then not even bothering to become a citizen and she told me that it doesn't bother her, because that is what the money is there for!
I asked the CARIBE administration about their program and if you ARE a US Citizen, you don't qualify for their program. And all the while, I am working a full day, my son-in-law works more than 60 hours a week, and everyone in my family works and pays for our education.
Something is wrong here. I am sorry but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Spanish - enough is enough. No where did they sing it in Italian, Polish, Irish (Celtic), German or any other language because of immigration. It was written by Francis Scott Key and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the translation -- not even close. Sorry if this offends anyone but this is MY COUNTRY.
IF IT IS YOUR COUNTRY SPEAK UP -- please pass this along. I am not against immigration -- just come through like everyone else.
Get a sponsor; have a place to lay your head; have a job; pay your taxes, live by the rules AND LEARN THE LANGUAGE as all other immigrants have in the past -- and GOD BLESS AMERICA!
PART OF THE PROBLEM, Think about this: If you don't want to forward this for fear of offending someone -- YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM! It is Time for America to Speak up If you agree -- pass this along, if you don't agree --- delete it!



7 comments:
Well.. You obviously know how I feel about this lol. But I'll go ahead and put in my two cents. I think it's a load of CRAP. We as a country should not be educating illegal immigrants (No Child Left Behind) nor paying any of their costs (as demonstrated by this letter). They should receive NO benefits from a country they do not contribute to. I pay my taxes so that my country can take care of me and its other citizens. NOT so we can take care of people who don't belong here without the appropriate documentation.
Most illegal immigrants would LOVE to become citizens. Just because they are illegal immigrants actually doesn't mean that they don't pay taxes. There is a very large tax surplus every year in the IRS paid by illegal immigrants.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/columnists/stories/MYSA042008.03O.Landa.1dfddb7.html
I know of a family that started out originally coming to the U.S. legally. He found a decent job as a mechanic working for 11.00/hr. His employer said he would sponsor him for citizenship and everything seemed to be in order. When his visa was about to expire, he went to his employer, who assured him up and down that he would sponsor him, he just didn't have time right then. The visa expired and he continued to go to his employer asking and his employer kept saying, yea, yea, sure, sure. After a few years he realized that his employer really had no intentions of sponsoring him, but he had a family and things were getting tight so he figured he would ask for at least a raise. His employer basically said your illegal, why would I give you a raise? Has been working for that man, for over twenty years now and as a professional mechanic is still only making 11.00/hr. His children are illegal, but they had no say in the matter. Several of his siblings have almost identical stories.
In an effort to crack down on illegal immigrants they decided to bust into a factory one day and ship everyone who was illegal out of the country. Afterwards they had huge numbers of children looking for their parents that were all of a sudden shipped to a different country while they were at school. What were these kids supposed to do? They wouldn't ship the kids out of the country because they were born here and legal.
Illegal immigration is a very complex issue. I understand having resentment toward people who abuse the system, but there is no one-size-fits-all solution and it is an issue that needs to be handled with compassion.
That's what I think anyway.
Oh yeah, and I love the "guilt trip" at the end, "send this on or your part of the problem!" What on earth is sending this on going to do to help the problem besides annoy people who don't agree with it and validate feelings of those who do. There are no facts included, how do we know that this person and the illegal immigrant spoken about actually exists. The person who wrote this doesn't know me from Adam, so why should I believe a word of it. I'm sorry, but emails like this are absurd and futile. I say delete it.
Pretty frustrating in light of my recent graduation and 30k student loan coming due but, i agree with Loni. This is a HOT issue in SoCal where everyone knows someone who is trying to cheat the system and everyone else who is honestly trying to do it right but for some reason or another is unable to. I have a whole immigration plan worked out which I will be happy to share with you if you EVER call or visit me.
This is my country. It is beautiful, and broken, but still good. Yeah it is still good.
We need to fix some of this stuff in America.
-Jay
It's all with good intentions. Nothing is ever going to seem FAIR, though.
It's all with good intentions. Nothing is ever going to seem FAIR, though.
Post a Comment