Sunday, December 16, 2007

I'm not afraid or embarassed

Awhile back I posted a blog on the town of Camden. Here is a little update of what I have done. Due to lack of time from finals, I took the easy route and got involved with the sub for santa through my work. It was fun to get to buy things for our little guy. We are broke but the little that we did do made me feel great. This isn't so that I can pat myself on the back but because I think that every family should do it. Even something so small can help someone in a big way. I plan on doing something like this every year. Next year I want to find a family and do a twelve days of Christmas thing (if we have money next year...since we both will be in school still). I want to start a tradition so when we do have kids we can teach them the true meaning of Christmas.

(This is my favorite statue of Him)

I am not afraid or embarassed to be poor, at least not right now when I don't have any kids to provide for. I think back and remember not being happy with the amount of Christmas presents I got one Christmas when I was in junior high. That is what is embarassing to me, that I could be so ungrateful when there were so many other kids that would have been thrilled to get what I got. I think not really having money for xmas has really been a blessing. I know that no matter what Rob and I will be ok because if we ever needed help we have a great family that would be there for us no matter what. Not everyone has something as great as that. I am so blessed and thankful that I have that, that they love us. Yes, not being able to go out and do things with friends/family has been kind of a bummer but really it has made me think about all the good things that Rob and I do have. Plus I have just as much fun hanging out and playing games or watching movies as I do going out to eat or whatever. Rob and I bought the gifts for the family member's names that we drew. I am excited to give them! I love seeing peoples faces when they open a well thought out gift. We decided that we aren't going to really get each other anything, maybe one gift each if we can afford it. Not being involved in all the hustle and bustle of the shopping has given me time to reflect on our Savior. It's hard not to get lost in the craze of things. How easily He can be forgotten. It's not about getting stuff. It's about spending time with the people you love the most and about celebrating the birth of our Savior. I don't post this in a "look how great I am" manner or a "I want your sympathy" sort of thing. I post because I am greatful for what I have now, even in the midst of all the trials we are facing. I don't ever want to forget this Christmas. Happy Holidays to you all!

4 comments:

Tiecen said...

Jaxon told Cami that he wants to give all of his presents to a little boy who's poor. He came up with that idea on his own. So sweet! I love you!

Jen Jen said...

Thats so cute of Jaxon!!!

Jarubla said...

Jen,

You are a great person. Posts like this just re-ierate that to me. Thank you for the reminder of the true meaning. I remember being dissapointed in some gifts when I was a kid, but hey, we were little right? The thing about age is that it gives us perspective...something that a 13 year old just can't fathom at the time.

It is great that you can think of others during this season of "getting" that all of us get so caught up in and think/reflect on Christ. That is one the true miracles of Christmas. Sort of one of those seeing the forest desite the trees things :)

-Jay

Lara said...

Jen! So true! J and I promised eachother we weren't getting eachother anything for Christmas - not even stocking stuff... yet I have to admit that I've loved this season more than any others so far.. and Christmas seems more special than it ever has, because it's not all about the material things. And you're right - it's the family and the relationships that make it all warm and cozyish. Love it. I hope you have your best Christmas yet! Miss you!

Music I like